Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Aaah, More Work ‘Frieend’.


“Yeah why not” I reply to the skype message, because I work in the sort of business where people communicate in that manner despite sitting ten feet away from each other.

I don’t particularly ‘fancy a beer’ with Counterpart or anyone else but I’m trying to be nice. So long as he doesn’t start banging-on about his dead kid again.

Counterpart: It’s nice in here yeah? Beer’s ok as well. So. I’ve been on Tinder and that…

Some time passes.

Me: Right. Why? What is that? Is it a sex thing or something?

C: Nah not really it’s just a hook-up you know?

I don’t know, but I’m just glad we’re not talking about his dead kid.

C: Just to see if I’ve ‘still got it’…

I start laughing. Then look at his face. He’s being serious.

Me: Oh. Sorry. Ok.

C: You’re not exactly a film star you skinny twat. So anyway I start seeing this girl...she’s no looker or anything…

He shows me a picture on his phone of a beautiful young woman.

C: But, y’know…..so we’ve been out a few times and I’ve seen her and her son when me and my daughter had some free time and her mother didn’t know…

Me: [Head reeling] Err, do you think that’s really…

I’d much rather be at home and I don’t really want to hear about someone committing sort-of-adultery whilst making his daughter borderline-complicit. At least he hasn’t mentioned his dead kid.

C: …but I’m thinking I might not be so fond of her as just want to be with her son. You know? Because of what I’ve lost? You know? I’m thinking I might only be seeing her because I’m falling in love with the son I had who never lived.


I finish my drink and stare at the wall. A long night beckons.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, God. I suspect it's 'not done' where you live, but this one really needs a therapist. Poor sod. When you don't have close enough friends to talk to about this dire stuff, you should really pay someone.

Jenertia

2:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, what Jenertia says. I almost never talk about my dead son in public as it generally makes me cry and other people get uncomfortable. What is it about death that makes people so uncomfortable? Having experienced a lot of it myself its still a mystery why its so hard to find the right words when someone brings up their grief. Your 'friend' definitely needs counseling so that you are left to give him advice regarding his ever-growing pile of personal problems.

Best, AAG

7:54 pm  
Blogger Tired Dad said...

Jen: I agree.

An American Ghost: Again, I concur. He would benefit from someone who is not dead inside.

10:40 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Go to newer posts

.............